gf, gluten-free, meatlessmonday, recipes, salad, vegan, vegetarian
Continuing our countdown to Cinco de Mayo, here’s an easy and delicious vegetable bean salad. It’s finished with yesterday’s Cumin Lime Dressing, which contributes a bright flavor to underscore the freshness of this dish.
I brought a bowl of this to an alumnae potluck last weekend, and waited until the last minute to toss in the cilantro so the green would stay vibrant. A beautiful addition to any table, this can be served as-is for a side dish, over spinach as an entrée salad, or as part of a taco salad with Vegan Taco Meat.
- 1 batch of Cumin Lime Dressing (limes, vinegar, oil, cumin, s&p)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in quarters or smaller
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3-4 green onions, minced to half way into green
- 2 large ears of corn
- .5 cups chopped cilantro
- Make the dressing and let sit for flavors to marry.
- Lightly cook the corn to develop sweetness. I microwaved but might be better to boil and blanch. Don’t cook to the extent that you would eat corn on the cob – maybe half that much. When it cools, cut the kernels off with a sharp knife.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix in the dressing, starting with half and adding to your taste.
- Kidney beans for either garbanzo or black beans
- A quarter finely diced sweet or red onion for green onions
- Cherry tomatoes for grape tomatoes (or diced Romas)
- Store-bought cumin lime or lime cilantro dressing
Our Kitchen Inventions said:
Wow! Your photos are really good. Makes me hungry just to look at them 🙂
That looks so good! I love cilantro on veggies
Thanks for the note, Jen : )
i like to add jicama and avocado to this
Nice. Would never have thought to add jicama but that sounds excellent! Thanks for the build.
Made it with jicama this week and LOVED it, great suggestion Lindsay : ) Actually didn’t have tomatoes so it was a substitution and very FRESH taste!