Continuing our countdown to Cinco de Mayo, here’s an easy and delicious vegetable bean salad. It’s finished with yesterday’s Cumin Lime Dressing, which contributes a bright flavor to underscore the freshness of this dish.
I brought a bowl of this to an alumnae potluck last weekend, and waited until the last minute to toss in the cilantro so the green would stay vibrant. A beautiful addition to any table, this can be served as-is for a side dish, over spinach as an entrée salad, or as part of a taco salad with Vegan Taco Meat.
- 1 batch of Cumin Lime Dressing (limes, vinegar, oil, cumin, s&p)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in quarters or smaller
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3-4 green onions, minced to half way into green
- 2 large ears of corn
- .5 cups chopped cilantro
- Make the dressing and let sit for flavors to marry.
- Lightly cook the corn to develop sweetness. I microwaved but might be better to boil and blanch. Don’t cook to the extent that you would eat corn on the cob – maybe half that much. When it cools, cut the kernels off with a sharp knife.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix in the dressing, starting with half and adding to your taste.
- Kidney beans for either garbanzo or black beans
- A quarter finely diced sweet or red onion for green onions
- Cherry tomatoes for grape tomatoes (or diced Romas)
- Store-bought cumin lime or lime cilantro dressing