I almost never buy salsa anymore, not since I got a food processor last year, because fresh homemade salsa is super easy and delicious. Here’s one of our favorite recipes.
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- .5 tsp chili powder
- .5 tsp chipotle powder
- .5 tsp salt
- .5 cups onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tsp fresh jalapeno (optional per your heat preference)
- 1 cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3-4 tomatillos, papery wrappers removed and rinsed
- 1-2 tomatoes
- Pulse the spices, salt, onion and garlic until finely chopped (here’s where jalapeno would go in)
- Add cilantro and lime juice, pulse several times
- Add tomatillos and tomatoes, pulse until they are the texture you prefer
- Between each step make sure to scrape the sides of the food processor with a spatula so all the ingredients get incorporated evenly
I like to separate the chunky part and use the juices to season my Spanish rice, etc.
One other note: this is a great way to use the cilantro stems since they are getting finely chopped anyway, so you can use the pretty top leaves for garnish.