curry, gluten-free, meatlessmonday, recipes, vegan, vegetarian
This is a flavorful base that you can use for many different Indian curry dishes to take advantage of the ingredients you have at home or are craving. You can adjust the different spices to your own taste. For example, this recipe has enough cinnamon to be noticeable so dial that back if you like less.
- .25 tsp fenugreek seed
- .25 tsp fennel seed (optional)
- .25 tsp cinnamon powder
- .75 tsp mustard seed
- .75 tsp chili powder
- 1.25 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.25 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 inches ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tbsp grape seed oil – enough to pull other ingredients together
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional here, I add to my curry separately)
Toast the fenugreek, fennel and mustard seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until they become fragrant and darken in color, maybe 5 minutes.
Transfer seeds into food processor and pulse several times.
Add all other ingredients except oil and tomato paste and process until a consistent texture.
Add oil and tomato paste and process again to achieve the desired texture.
Here’s an example of how to use – Curried Lentils:
- Heat 3 tbsp grape seed oil in large pot over med heat.
- Season oil with 2 bay leaves, 15 peppercorns, .25 tsp crushed red pepper (or more if you like, or use finely chopped jalapeno), and 2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- Add 2 finely chopped onions and cook 5 mins
- Stir in curry paste from above (and the tomato paste if not incorporated)
- Add .5 cups water, 3 chopped carrots, 1 chopped red bell pepper
- Add 1.5 cups water and .5 cups lentils
- Cook until lentils are done
- Remove from heat, serve over basmati rice if you like, and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro
- Consider including tofu, mushrooms or sweet potatoes. Try serving over spinach instead of rice
Pingback: Cauliflower Curry « charlottealvina
Pingback: My Favorite Natural Cold Remedies « charlottealvina
Assking questions are genuinely fastidious thing if youu are not understanding
anything fully, but this article provides nice understanding even.
Hi, I would like to subscribe for this blog to get hottest updates, so where can i do it please help.